Monday, August 22, 2011

Spain (part 3 of my adventure)



Day 4

After leaving Morocco the last part of our adventure takes place in Spain.  The flight from Tanger to Madrid only took about a hour and because I was unable to get a good sleep on the overnight train and my sunburn I slept the entire flight.  We arrived in Madrid in the early evening and by the time we found our hotel it was pretty late and after eating we only had a little time to explore the city (also interestingly was that it was World Youth Day meaning that there were 1 million catholic youth hanging out in the city).  HAHAHA so we went from celebrating Ramadan in Morocco to celebrating Cathothicism in Spain.

Day 5

I ended up sleeping late as I was not feeling very well because of the sun burn and we ended up leaving the hotel at about 2 in the afternoon, which was great as the weather was clear and hot (it was about 37 degrees, sunny and no wind).  We spent part of the day exploring the city.

This was the castle in Madrid, the castle was seriously huge and try as I must I was unable to get a good picture showing the size of the castle.


This was a picture of downtown Madrid







As we were wandering around the city we came across a Mariachi band who were amazing but only played one song before the cops ushered them away.

This is the stadium of the Real Madrid football team (they won the world cup in 2010).
After seeing the football stadium we returned to the hotel and I ended up taking an epic nap (about three hours) because I was feeling pretty rough.  After I finally woke up at about 10 or so Eric and I made our way into the city center where we hung out and had a few drinks (juice for me) before heading back to our hotel as our flight was pretty early the next morning.  I must say that spain is a beautiful place and I feel that I should get back there to better explore the city as I feel that I certainly could have used a few more days in Madrid alone. The trip back to the netherlands was pretty unexciting with nothing worth mentioning or any pictures worth taking.

So now you have seen pictures from my trip and heard my adventures and I expect the same from all of you.  Hope to see your blog posts soon.

Love

Wes

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures and story. The buildings are amazing. European and Asian history is fantastic. In Canada, we don't appreciate the youthfulness of our country. We tear down old buildings and put up new without any thought about preserving any history. One really needs to go to Europe and Asia to really appreciate the importance of history.

    Thanks Wes for the postings.

    ReplyDelete