Thursday, February 23, 2012

Great Quinoa recipe


Hi all, 


Alright so we have not been great at posting things but I am going to change that.  I wanted to post a great quinoa recipe that I made tonight and I liked how it turned out so much I determined that this is something that I had to share with my family.


Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
  2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
  3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Some substitutions I made were I only used 550 ml of beans (so about 10 oz) mainly because I only had one can of beans and I also added it after simmering the quinoa for 10 minutes.  I also used two cups of corn, well because I like corn.  In my opinion the one can of beans and two cups of corn was perfect.  Everything else I kept the same except I used chicken stock instead of vegetable stock (you can probably use any stock you like) and used parsley instead of Cilantro (again had parsley but didn't have cilantro).

Anyways, the recipe turned out GREAT.

Love

Wes

P.S Netty since you are going on a retreat I expect to see some pictures posted to remember to bring your camera (NO FORGETTING) and mom and dad where are your pictures from your trip?!?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment