Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I am sorry that I have not posted for a while but I am back

Hi all

I know has been a while since I have posted anything and I intend to change that.  To be honest I was trying to think of a new challenge for everyone however I am lacking ideas, I am not sure about everyone else but I am not really in a position to make elaborate meals at the moment as I am preparing to leave Slovenia and I am still camera-less at the moment so I can not challenge people to submit photos.  So I will offer another challenge, post something that has happened to you over the past few weeks that sticks in your mind.

For example for myself I would say that this last Monday night will stand out in my mind for a while.  It was a normal night with nothing really that special but a number of friends got together for drinks and just to talk and as we talked we all realized that we will all miss each other next year as we are all off to different places for our studies.  It was an unexpected realization and I think that realization really helped to make the night (what was by any other standard a completely ordinary night and not something that we had not done many times before) something that I will remember for a while.

So there you have it post a special moment that you had the past little bit.

Love

Wes

1 comment:

  1. Good Challenge Wes.

    Well this is an easy answer to give since Dad and I have just returned from a wonderful week of vacation. I have tried to think of one highlight and have come to several.
    1. Sunrise over the ocean. One morning Dad and I woke to see the sunrise over the ocean. The sky was hazy so the colors of the sun were more pronounced against the grey sky. It was really beautiful.
    2. A 5AM wake-up call. We were camping on the beach in a small fishing harbor. The village was a bustling place of activity. The previous night at 6pm, the fishermen raced past our tent on their way home for the evening. When we walked around the village that night, we meet folk outside tending their gardens, children playing and the usual evening chores. At around 8pm, a loud speaker could be heard throughout the village and a short time later, people headed home for the night. We were surprised by the same loud speaker at 5am which was followed by the roar of engines as the fishermen raced back to the harbor to begin their day. No sooner had the load speaker finished its announcement when the roasters started to crow. The whole village came alive and people appeared from all directions - the garlic growers with their bags of garlic, the garlic buyers, fishermen, children, people out for their morning exercise. It was just fascinating to see all this.
    3. We rented a 'pension' which is like an apartment that you can rent by the night. It was on top of a cliff, overlooking the ocean. We kept the windows open all night to listen to the waves crashing against the rocks below us. Beautiful.
    4. On the road to the pension, we had to go through a one-lane tunnel that had been carved out of the rock during the time of the Japanese occupation. When you entered it was possible to meet traffic coming from the other direction so on one side of the tunnel there were places where one car could pull over to let the oncoming traffic pass. It was so unique, I have never seen anything like this. The first time we went through we were nervous thinking that we would have to back up but then we noticed how it worked and it just became a novelty to travel through the tunnel.
    5. Jirisan National Park. Amazing. Tall trees, rock, small streams, cool air, hairpin turns, waterfalls. All the amazing things that are associated with parks in the mountains. Jirisan is the 3rd tallest mountain in Korea - 1,915 meters tall - not tall by Canadian Rocky Mountains standards but for Korea, it is tall. We tented in the valley of one of the mountains - really beautiful place. There were very few people camping so we had lots of space to ourselves which made it even better.
    6. Namwon and Hamyoung. Quaint little cities just outside of the park. Namwon is a pretty place with lots of parks. Hamyoung has a beautiful park where they grow hundreds perhaps even thousands of water lilies. Beautiful.
    7. Time spent travelling and camping with your Dad. He did all the driving and I enjoyed the conversation and companionship.

    Those are the special moments that I had this past week.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete