Saturday, October 30, 2010

New House in Polican!


Hey My family!!! How are you guys doing??? I'm doing well. Lili and I are not getting all set up into our house. Still need a few things but a vesh a vesh (meaning slowly). Its amazing how much it costs to set up a new place! But it definately feels like home. Thanks for the suggestion dad about putting the oven mounted on the wall, thats exactly what we've done but I wasn't able to make a photo of it (hee hee, Albanian English).

Oh Kay,... take a deep breath. if I was walking with you right now we'd be going on the left side of the Mosque and walking up a LONG flight of stairs outside.... walk, walk, puff, huff,.... pause, pretend to be looking at the scenery but really taking a moment to catch your breath, .... ok, lets continue up more stairs, stairs,... great now we made it to a road. And not in between the apartments is where we are going. Careful that you don't fall into the gutter for water, and now up more stairs, watch the first step, its a high up. GREAT!!! Now we've made it to another street. Turn to the right and the first apartment is where were going and guess what???? More stairs but don't worry just to the second floor!

Open the door,... CREAAAAAK. Great we're in!!!

Ok, I don't know how to arrange this but this picture is of our water deposit. Its in our little closed in balcony. It doesn't have any pressure but it provides enough water to flush the toliet, to wash our hands and to wash the dishes.









This is a picture of our bathroom. The plasticy looking thing on the wall hanging (to the right) is now replaced by a mirror.

We have 2 large buckets with lids which we use to hold water. Because we have water and a normal toliet, but the suction when the water goes down isn't very strong and sometimes the big job needs some help.











This is our water heater. And you can see the pipe that comes from our neighbours floor. The first morning when the water came at 6am I heard a TREMENDOUS noise, I flew up into the bathroom and realized it was just the water coming. Since then I haven't been freightened by the big bad pipes any more!






This picture is of our toliet and sink area (notice the red bucket to hold extra water). The shower originally was placed above the turkish toliet. But now that we have a western toliet, we can't have a shower over that! (we'll we physically can but its a bit weird!). So the shower we hold by our hand but we'll soon get a bar to hold the shower head.













To the right is our little enclosed balcony. but this is just another picture of the bathroom, from the doorway.













This is a picture of our enclosed balcony where we hang our laundry.













This is our view from our balcony. Oh, now the colour has changed to blue! Exciting!













Again blue... tee hee.... we've finally left our bathroom and balcony and here we are in the hallway. The airplane, err,... I mean washing machine and fridge are here. And the light switch for the hall, located behind the fridge, of course! Such a logical place!













This is our living room!! i love this carpet!













This is from the other side. The lighted place behind the curtain is our little kitchen!












This is the view from our living room!













This is part of my kitchen and our wood stove!

















This is where we store our food and dishes. Sorry, we still haven't got everything into a place yet.
















Our gas stove top. Now we have a wood board under it. And now above this we have our oven mounted on metal arms with a wood board holding it up. But we mounted it so high that we need a chair to reach it! But at least the steam can't ruin it.













And our little sink!













This is our 'new' stove. We were told that it was brand new.... I can't imagine why we'd think any different. Lol!











This is our hallway from the living room towards the front door. Has a small room on the left.
















This is the small room and my little escape!!! Its like a little study.
















Little room continued. Notice the family picture on the top of the book shelf.
















In my bedroom in the closet. We only have three drawers in our huge wardrobe and lots of hanging areas. I put in the drawers.















This is the rest of my stuff. I can hang it but then I'd need a ladder to take it down. Tee hee. Sorry its messy but I hadn't organized it yet, cleaner now.















The wardrobe, crazy eh!













My bed! And wood floor!













We got this 'rug' from the second hand market. I love it! I think that its actually a throw for the couch but it works on the floor!















The jungle behind my bedroom!













These next photos are the little decorations that we have in the house. Posters!!
















Remember mom we bought this stuff in Germany??? And now its finally being used!












Wall hangings from Korea!!

















A wall hanging that I got at the African folklorama pavilion and an orange scarf from the 2nd hand market for $1.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Netty,

    Thanks for posting the pictures Sweetie!! Mom (when she gets up) and I really appreciate getting them from you!

    Well, it's certainly a "unique" apartment you've got there! The living room and bedroom areas are cute (I also love the rugs!!) but the bathroom and kitchen areas are...well...um, er..."one-of-a-kind"!?! As long as you're able to do some cooking on that "brand new stove" (likely brand new in the 19th century!) and some self-cleaning somehow in your "western equipped" bathroom, I guess you're all set - as long as you're happy, I'm happy!!!

    It seems as though you've done a lot of organizing already - congratulations! I'm sure the place will feel more like "home" each new day you're there. Have you used the woodstove as yet? Does it work well?

    Yup, that was quite the journey to your apartment alright - I was exhausted climbing up to your place with you, and that was only while going on a "virtual visit"! I'm sure thankful that I don't have to drag a heavy suitcase up all those stairs!!!

    Well Honey, thanks again for posting the pics. When you get the chance, I'd love to see more photos of the community sometime soon(you know Dad's NEVER completely satisfied, right?!?).

    I'll write more in an email Lovey!

    I love you!!!!

    -Your Poppa-
    XOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete