Monday, August 30, 2010

Amsterdam

Hi all

Alright so I have finally gotten around to taking some pictures of Amsterdam.  There are still many more pictures to take of this lovely city however this is what I managed to snap today as I was wondering around.


Lots of canals here in Amsterdam, I am told that without all the canals there would be real water problems in the city.  It is funny apparently Amsterdam does not have problems with flooded streets, not like Venice, I guess when you get as much rain as they do you adapt.



The city is alive there is always something going on and people going out.



The canals all have different names however I am confused how the boat owners are able to figure out their way around the water ways as there are so many different bridges and canals.


The design of these buildings is very common for downtown Amsterdam.  I must say that I love the look of these buildings and would love to own an apartment in one of them along one of the canals (the only problem is that the homes start at around 200000 euros and go from there)





Those boats are not only there for transportation but are there for living as well.  There are a number of house boats along the canal (I would love to live in one but I hear that they are cold during the winter)








These buildings all along the canal all contain flower shops



One of the flower shops and below a picture of some of the flowers





This is one of the various fast food restaurants in Amsterdam, basically the way this works is that it is like a vending machine for hot food.  You put your money into the machine and get what you want be it burger, hotdog, fried chicken, etc.



Some people are just desperate for a garden




My attempts at photography

Well I hope that you have enjoyed just a taste of what Amsterdam is like I am hoping to get more pictures and post more pictures over the next week or so.

Love you all

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I never realized that Amsterdam was so beautiful. When you said canals, I was thinking of small little streams - some of these are really wide. Very intersting. I look forward to seeing more. We definately must go there this summer. Is it hot in the summer? What is the average temperature?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete