Saturday, March 5, 2011

Eating Healthy

Hi

I am always on the lookout for cheap, fast, and healthy recipes and this week I think that I found a winner. I was initially skeptical about the dish as it looked more like a dip (and it actually could function quite well as a healthy dip if you feel so inclined) but is a side dish; in my case it was a main course but lets not focus on that.  Anyways I have been thinking that I need to up my green vegetable intake and I figured that spinach would be perfect (I was sick of salad and broccoli was expensive).  After picking up my spinach I was stuck trying to figure out how to turn this vegetable into a main course and that is when I came across this recipe for Spinach Surprise.


Ingredients

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1/2 cup salsa or picante sauce
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

Directions

  1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in spinach and picante sauce. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

I ended up using an entire jar of salsa and I didn't bake it for as long as suggested but I found it to be quite delicious.

If anyone else has any winning cheap, healthy and delicious recipes (preferably all three attributes are present in the recipe but I will also suffice with cheap and healthy if it is a must) I would love to hear them.

Love

Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment