Saturday, March 5, 2011

Last weekend

Hi all

Alright so I may be avoiding reading articles by posting on the blog but I can rationalize this by figuring that this is at least productive so I can feel good about myself.

So as I mentioned last week I had guests from Malta visiting me for the weekend so as a good host I made sure that I was able to get everything done that needed to be done before they arrived so I would be free to show them around all weekend.

Anyways my friends arrived on Thursday in the early afternoon and after an initial delay in meeting them (I was running all over town trying to get everything together to host friends) I met them at the train station and got them setup with public transportation cards (3 days of unlimited use of the metro, bus, and trams for only 15 euros (this may sound expensive but transportation is expensive in Amsterdam so it is actually pretty cheap)).  After this we headed back to my little slice of heaven that I call my dorm room (everyone was adequately warned about the size of my room and the condition of the dorm, I think that mom and dad can back me up when I say that it is a bit of a challenge living in student housing in Amsterdam but I guess it helps build character (I personally feel that all my character building has made me the person I am today and I partly blame dad for all the character snow shoveling that I did and being the only one who actually read the manual for the riding lawnmower).  Anyways after getting everyone settled we took a fun trip to the university because I was still not finished with handing in a last assignment so everyone had to suffer even though they were all very hungry from their trip (hey no one said I was a good host).  After running around the university and getting a bit to eat it was off to see amsterdam.  I guess when you live anywhere for a while you forget about what it is like to see it for the first time and tend to overlook that most people are interested in the architecture and canals so when asked about what is good to see you kind of blank.  Anyways after wandering around for a while and stopping for coffee it was decided that it would be best to call it an early evening (which was good because I was exhausted)

Friday started with a trip to the purse museum, as much as I want to mock the experience it was actually pretty interesting.  As usual it seems that I am the only one actually interested in reading the information (I am looking at you mom and dad) so I took my sweet time while everyone else just ran though the museum looking at all the bags.  After the museum it was off to the Anne Frank house, just a short tram ride away, but because of a massive line the plan was changed and we headed off for a canal cruise.  The canal cruise is exactly what it sounds like you get in a flat bottom boat and go though the canals of Amsterdam while a tour guide gives you some history on the place.  It was really interesting as they pointed out lots of things that I didn't previously know.  Plus I had extra incentive to enjoy the canal cruise as I managed to negotiate the children's price for myself by sticking to the claim that I was only 12.  After the canal cruise finished it was off to the Van Gohl museum to look at some art (being that this was my 3rd time there I took the role of unofficial tour guide) but I was also pleased to see that they had a Picasso exhibit which was new (I tried to get a discount here but no go, oh well).  After the obligatory three hours in the museum it was off to the House of Boels (Boels makes the oldest liqueur in the netherlands as it was started in the 1500s).  The House of Boels was interesting as you got to smell and taste lots of different things and try to guess what they are (apparently I am terrible at this).  Finally, after finishing at the house of boels it was off for a bite to eat (I was starving as we hadn't eaten all day but everyone else seemed alright).  After dinner it was getting ready and then out for the night.

Saturday we were to get up early (at 7) so we could get to the Anne Frank Museum but needless to day this didn't happen and we ended up rolling into the line at the Anne Frank Museum at about 11.  After a long wait in the misty cold weather (everyone else decided to wait in a little shop and me being kind stood in the rain all by my lonesome, am I an awesome host or what) we finally got in to do the tour.  As mom and dad will attest it was a good experience (I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it because I don't think you are meant to enjoy such things but it was good).  Following the Anne Frank Museum and feeling that we needed to lighten things up we were off to the Heineken brewery to learn how beer is made (talk about a transition).  We hung out at the Heineken brewery for a while (they really do great advertising so that was really the attraction to the entire experience) before everyone decided that it was time to hit up the H&M for some shopping.  Fortunately because of the fact that we were meeting a friend we were only able to spend about 20 minutes in H&M (oh boo hoo) before having to leave.  We then met up with a friend and hit a chinese restaurant for a bit to eat and then back to my place to get ready for the evening.

Sunday morning early (at about 6 in the morning) everyone woke up and my friends from Malta left to head to the airport and I went back to bed to get a little more sleep before church.

All in all a good time but hosting 4 people in my tiny room was just a little too much and I don't think that I will be doing that again.

Anyways I hope that everyone is having a great week and I will talk to you sunday.

Love

Wes

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how you could have had 4 additional people in your room. They must have been stacked up or hung from the ceiling or door frame. Your room is so small. It was crowded with Dad and I and you so it must have been impossible with 5 people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The canal tour sounds interesting. Next time I want to do this for certain.

    ReplyDelete